Sunday, September 18, 2011

Aging is Not Lost Youth

I've been pretty down, with very little attention span, since I missed my niece's wedding a couple of weeks ago.  I'm still pretty bummed about this...and really, really needed the vacation.  However, there isn't much you can do when the planes won't fly where you are going.  Can't control mother nature.  I'm sure the fact that it's almost a year since my mother passed away is not helping matters either...yet alone the list of other things that have happened in the last couple of weeks that haven't exactly been fun.

We went to a birthday party for two friends today (husband and wife, their birthdays are just a couple of days apart).  Both of them are a few years older than I am.  I so enjoyed all the people there, but found myself sad upon returning home later.  Of course, there was talk of getting older at the party, and I am already feeling older and very stuck lately - so in need of change. I came across this quote on Already Pretty that I thought was inspiring and cool:
"Aging is not 'lost youth,' but a new stage of opportunity and strength.  It's a different stage of life, and if you are going to pretend it's youth, you are going to miss it.  You are going to miss the surprises, the possibilities, and the evolution that we are just beginning to know about because there are no role models, no guideposts, and no signs."         - Betty Friedan
Thanks...I needed to see this today.  The timing could not have been better.  I hope it will inspire others as well.

1 comment:

Strong said...

Glad you found this. Yes, we don't have to follow any "rules" about how we get older, because it's a new day & time. We can make our own damn rules!