Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Last of the Harvest

As things have been flying the last few weeks, it has been a bit overwhelming with little time to write. I always feel a bit shorted when I can't write - whether it's blogging, working on an article, or other projects.

So, I'll write about our last dinner with the favorites of our garden harvest.  With angel hair pasta, the last bit of pesto (which, try as I might to freeze and save, we always end up eating all too soon), and the last of the kale, sauteed in olive oil with caramelized onions, garlic, and Pepperoncini.  

I'm especially proud of the kale this year, and all the new and different ways we learned how to cook it.  Bright purple with deep green veins in the leaf, it's beautiful and delicious.


It's almost farewell to autumn. The clocks go back this weekend, but it's already getting darker earlier.  The gorgeous bright red, orange and yellow leaves are dropping faster to the ground, creating a blanket of color wrapped around the trees.

I will miss our garden full of rosemary, basil, chives, sage, habanero and green peppers, and the beautiful kale, but then we'll have the cabinet full of fresh, hot salsa and and other canned reminders of the garden...which will be great once the snow starts to fall.

1 comment:

Strong said...

Me,too, love....me too.