Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mermaid Hair

I've been told more than once that I have mermaid hair. As an avid swimmer since I was really young, I guess I always take it as a compliment. I'm not blonde - in fact, I'm quite happy to be a natural redhead - so, it's not like it's referring to the old joke of blonde hair looking green from too much chlorine. Besides, mermaid hair is actually much more about "beachy" hair. It's a bit wavy like ocean waves, very natural, and pretty long. Guess that's me. And I love the quote on the mermaid necklace pictured above (it's from Crafting4Cause) with the quote by Anais Nin on it. I agree with that philosophy as well.

I always have to laugh when women tell me they would have long hair if it wasn't so much work. In reality, I put very little effort into my hair. Most days I don't even dry it. When I do, I dry the top slightly, and leave the back wet to dry naturally during the day. 

On the Free People Blog, they go into more detail about styling more elaborate Mermaid Hair. In their version, it does take more work to create the long curls that flow down your back, along with using varying colors. It looks really beautiful and fun. But, at least for me, part of the attitude of having the long mermaid hair is that it isn't a lot of work. It's down, or in a long braid, or pulled back into a ponytail. It's easy and simple to change for the weather or what I am doing at the time.

And, by the way, I plan on doing this until I'm old and gray. Who cares what people say about it being inappropriate to have long hair when you're older anyway. Never tell a redhead she can't do something...  

In the real scheme of things, I admire women who put more effort into their hairstyles, and I appreciate the work that Free People demonstrates on their blog. But, let's be honest, I am - and will always be - a very low maintenance kind of girl, with a definite dislike of shallow living. I'll take the deep end that you can dive into...and the long, natural, and often wet, hair any day.

1 comment:

shelter stroll said...

May you forever be a low-maintanence mermaid-haired girl diving deeply into the depths ❤