Saturday, June 6, 2009

Old, Delusional White Guys

With the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor, there is talk about "reverse racism" after hearing some of her comments. Coming from white men, this is actually quite humorous.

First off, they sound ridiculous - especially Pat Buchanan. For him to say something silly is not new, of course. But, I never thought I would hear old, white men claim they were experiencing racism. They are the one part of our population who have not only always had the advantage over women and people of color, but generally had control of most things.

I am a woman, but I am a white woman. I face sexism and, unfortunately, probably always will. But, I do not face racism. I am not a minority and it would be stupid for me to say that. I most certainly don't have any problem with Sotomayor's comments. Her experience IS different. As an Hispanic woman she has had to deal with things I have not. That is just a fact.

But, come on guys. White guys have had the upper hand for....forever. They are the only sex and race who HAVEN'T had to deal with some type of "ism" their whole lives. To hear the likes of Pat Buchanan and Rush Limbaugh whine about this is funny. Really, get over it! And get a reality check while you're at it. If you are born a white male in America and things didn't turn out the way you wanted them too - well, you probably have yourself to blame. Of course, as always, there are always exceptions to this - but I'm pretty sure that Buchanan and Limbaugh are hardly the exceptions.

The cool part about all of this is that as our nation progresses and our population becomes more and more diverse, things will change. Now, most of us think this is great. America is, after all, people from everywhere else, and that makes things interesting. Down the road these whiners might actually have to deal with the reality they think they are in now. Won't it be funny when the white male actually is the minority?

No comments: