Friday, September 3, 2010

JK Rowling Gives to MS

I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter Books. I ended up buying the first book (The English version) at a used bookstore about the time the last book was coming out. I find the series to be cleverly written, with impeccable research, rich characters, and a wonderful imagination. I thank JK Rowling for giving us very entertaining books that all tied together so well.

Today I read something that wanted me to thank her further though: She gave ten million dollars for the Edinburgh MS Center. According to BBC News:

The Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic will aim to put patients at the heart of the research process.

Work at the new clinic will also focus on other degenerative neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and Motor Neurone Disease.

Ms Rowling said: "I cannot think of anything more important, or of more lasting value, than to help the university attract world-class minds in the field of neuroregeneration, to build on its long and illustrious history of medical research and, ultimately, to seek a cure for a very Scottish disease."

She added: "I have just turned 45, the age at which my mother, Anne, died of complications related to her MS. I know that she would rather have had her name on this clinic than on any statue, flower garden or commemorative plaque, so this donation is on her behalf, too; and in gratitude for everything she gave me in her far-too-short life."

The Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic will enable us to carry out studies that can inform laboratory research and, in turn, this knowledge can be translated back into treatments for patients.

So, thank you for not only being a fun writer, but for sharing your wealth for a worthy cause. This will really help people with Multiple Sclerosis - and so many others with other neurological conditions.

No comments: