Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Women's Right to Vote

As with most American women, I'm glad I was born where I was. It is disgusting to see what women put up with in other parts of the world. Slavery still exists all over the world - and the majority of slaves are women. Or they must cover their heads. Or not be allowed to go outside without a male with them. Women are treated like property only there for men. They are not lucky enough to be feminists.

We still have to deal with - often blatant - sexism in this country, and it is way too accepted. But we do have rights here, we do have freedoms, we can go to school and work in the jobs we want to. We do have opportunity.

One of the rights we have had since 1920 is to vote. The right to express our opinion. This was fought for years ago...

So now we have John Derbyshire, a British-American conservative author and columnist for the National Review. He has written a new book "We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism." There is a section in the book called "The Case Against Female Suffrage." According to a posting by Think Progress: John Derbyshire thinks our country would be "better off if women didn't vote."
"The conservative case against it is that women lean hard to the left,” Derbyshire responded nonsensically. “They want someone to nurture, they want someone to help raise their kids, and if men aren’t inclined to do it — and in the present days, they’re not much — then they’d like the state to do it for them.”
I did a post on women voting on September 22, 2008. After what women went through to be able to vote this moron thinks that right should be taken away?

Well, I guess he is right in my case about a couple of things: I'm very liberal, and very opinionated. But, I know plenty of women who don't lean to the left, and I don't have any children. I do, however, know many single mothers who have worked hard to raise decent, educated children - all by themselves.

So, here's another opinion, Mr. Derbyshire: Perhaps you should crawl back into your dark hole in the dark ages when women, even in America, were simply there to be seen and not heard. I love that women can voice their opinions and their votes in this country. The only opinion I don't really want to hear is yours.

1 comment:

Strong said...

Derbyshire makes me embarassed to be a man.