Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Weird Things You Hear

I went to a favorite used bookstore today, two days after Christmas. The store was incredibly busy - even in this economy people still like to read and buy books, especially used or cheaper ones. The lines were long and the shelves were overflowing. I came in with a couple bags of books to sell. It is always painful to part with books, but I did find one to buy too.

As I was getting ready to check out, a fellow shopper was heading out the door and talking to his friend. He said he really wanted to find a particular book that was said to be "a cross between 'Marley & Me,' and 'The Silence of the Lambs.' " This sounded so odd to me. Could two books be more different? I loved the endearing story of the rambunctious Labrador Retriever in the first story, and the second example was a well-crafted thriller that grabbed your attention until the end. So how would someone be able to mesh these two stories into one?

I really should have followed the guy out the door. As strange as the concept sounded, it would have at least satisfied my curiosity - or at least allowed me to glance at how this story would be done.

1 comment:

risingsn said...

I think there is one that has elements of both- Cujo, by Stephen King....