Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Dick" Armey, Proud Sexist

Listening to "Hardball" as I worked on my computer, I caught a debate between Joan Walsh, of Salon.com, and Richard Keith "Dick" Armey, the former U.S. Representative from Texas's 26th congressional district (1985–2003) and House Majority Leader (1995–2003). They were discussing the stimulus plan.

In yet another example of an old, white Republican guy showing his true colors, Armey came out with this ridiculous, sexist comment aimed at Walsh: "I am so damn glad that you could never be my wife, 'cause I surely wouldn't have to listen to that prattle from you every day."

Joan's response? "Well, that makes two of us. What an outstanding comment."
Kudos to Bob Herbert from the New York Times. When asked a question in the next segment he said "Before I answer that question, I want to comment on the sexist comment that Dick Armey made to Joan Walsh. He owes her an apology." Thanks, Bob. On the other hand, no thanks to Michelle Bernard who said nothing. Even when it was brought up a second time, she still said nothing.

I'd like to say I feel sorry for Armey's wife. She clearly gets no respect from him. Clearly no woman does. So Armey can't handle a strong woman speaking her mind? Instead he throws out an insult that not only hits her, but hits the woman who is supposedly his life partner - on national television.

Go back to Texas, Dick. Put on your big cowboy hat and shut up. And if your wife does have any strength or feminist gumption at all, she'll kick your butt for the rest of us.

No comments: