Monday, November 10, 2008

All in the Name of Religion

Wars are started and maintained in the name of religion. Judgments run out of control, and compassion seems to be severely lacking. The latest is Proposition 8 passed in California. Isn't what is really being fought for just plain and simple love? Isn't this all about letting people live their lives?

I am a heterosexual woman. I have also been married and it didn't work out. Over half of the marriages in the United States end in divorce. Needless to say, heterosexual couples certainly don't have the institution of marriage all figured out. I was actually told by a fellow Christian once that, because I am divorced, I will always be committing adultery no matter if I marry again or not - so I may as well just live with a man since I am sinning either way. What? My fiance is a different color than I am - just a few years ago WE couldn't be together either. And the Mormons fighting against Proposition 8 - aren't you the folks who believed in multiple wives years ago? Is that Biblical too?

God makes us all a certain way and he is gracious and forgiving to all of us. As a heterosexual, I certainly don't have all the answers and I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I know many straight people and I know many gay people. I know gay couples who have stronger relationships than many of my straight friends. Why can't people show all people love and compassion - and not vote against something that doesn't affect them in the least?

One of messages in the Bible is that we are not to judge and we should treat others the way we want to be treated. It is a cruel, lonely world - if you are fortunate enough to find someone to love we should celebrate it, not condemn it. Isn't it time we stopped condemning peope in the name of religion? It isn't about religion or government - it is about people following their hearts. Do people really think they are so superior that they have all the answers? I mean, really, none of us will know what the real deal is until the day we meet our maker.

God gave us the Bible to learn from and understand history. He did not give it to us to use as a weapon. Proposition 8, once again, shows fear of the unknown and how people think they have to crusade against something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. It is time we appreciated people for their differences - whether it is their lifestyle, their religion, or anything else they do that doesn't hurt anyone else. It is time people opened their minds and let in a little light. There is so much pain in this life and clearly not enough love. Why would we want to strip anyone of the chance to enjoy a loving relationship just because we don't live our lives exactly the same way?